Friday, February 22, 2008

Ronin

One shamed into living a causeless life; a masterless samurai.

OK, so it isn't climbing, but where else are you going to get a car-chase scene that rivals The French Connection and a bullet through Katarina Witt's heart?

Sometimes I wonder about my own life and my cause. It's not uncommon, but neither is my daily routine. I get up, go to work, do my job and I feel as if I've accomplished something at the end of the day. Yet, all I really want to do is find the master that I've been seeking to serve. I often find that while climbing, I am at peace with not having found the worn path toward conformity. But then I realize that, while it isn't suicidal, I sometime climb not to find the inner strength to carry me beyond my everyday fears, but because I'd be perfectly fine severing ties with my life and just walking away. Student loans? Expectations? Obligations? I'm doing as well as anyone could have imagined, and it's all so empty. Courage is a funny thing behind a computer screen. Living life through an alarm clock, though comfortable, is not as easy as it seems.

Anyone want to take a chance on a guy who just wants to go out and hope to do good by living life? Faith, it turns out, is every bit a master as patience is.

No comments: